VEX Statement On Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Visitor Experience Group strives for a diverse, equal and inclusive cultural field. We believe a broad representation of experiences, perspectives, and cultures make up our community.
We recognize people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, and sexual orientation.
VEX values diversity in the community we bring together. In an effort to maintain an inclusive conference atmosphere, we have established a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Fellowship. The VEX DEI Fellowship will offer four attendees complimentary registration to the annual conference and selected events.
The VEX Conference is held annually in the fall and hundreds of Visitor Experience professionals from the museum and cultural fields come together to discuss, network, teach, and learn. They take away new ideas, challenges, and trainings for themselves and their staff. The conference offers a 3-day long itinerary of workshops, panels, keynotes, events, and networking opportunities for entry level through management. This conference is one of the few dedicated opportunities for those in the Visitor Experience/Services field.
- All-inclusive conference registration (includes all keynote sessions, panels, and workshops and tickets to additional networking events, a $400+ value).
- Meet the Artist Team-Building Activity: Talk with an artist whose work represents an underrepresented population. Visit their studio and view their work.
- Must work (full-time or part-time) at a museum or cultural institution in visitor services or visitor experience-related department or be enrolled in a museum studies – related program at an accredited college or university.
- Self-identifies as coming from an underrepresented or marginalized community, including, but not limited to, these categories: people of color, people with disabilities, LGBT+, and/or socioeconomic status.
- Must be able to attend the 2020 VEX Conference in Cleveland, OH (travel and accommodation expenses are not included in this program.)
- After the conference, attendees will be required to present a final report to the VEX board. Attendee will be expected to complete the following projects within three months after the conference:
- Choose from the topics below and write a 300-word essay summarizing your experience:
- A panel(s) that resonated with you
- Summarize your takeaway from the “Meet the Artist” experience
Are you in a unique situation that doesn’t fit the exact criteria? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to see if you meet the qualifications for this scholarship program.
The selection will be made by the VEX Audience Engagement Chair and Planning Committee with input from a range of advisors.
Questions? Please email email@example.com